Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Meal Time Memory Lane!

I have very few memories of my grandmother from when I was little, however there are a few that seem to stick out and most of them involve dinner time. She always seemed to make dinner the best time of the day, it helped that just about every meal was amazing! She tried to teach me how to cook when I was 13 or so, but I would never learn. I wish now that I would have! Here are some of the most amazing meals she made, well that I remember anyway.

I loved her beef stew. I don't remember what she made it with, I just remember the very first time I ever tried it I was 6 years old and vowed to eat nothing but her stew every single day! Obviously, I didn't follow through with that, though I don't think it would be all that hard! I remember my mom agreeing with me and grandma laughing at me. She added stew meat and tomato sauce and a bunch of other ingredients that I can't recall. I so wish I would have gotten that recipe!

Another thing that she made that the whole family loved was her Million Dollar Fudge. She only made it around Christmas time or Thanksgiving, and it was the best fudge ever made... well in my opinion. I actually have that recipe around here somewhere, and I tried to make it with my daughter a few years ago. It tasted good, just not like grandma's!

I also loved her Chicken and Noodles. Those were my all time favorite thing that she made. Melt in your mouth delicious. I don't have that recipe either, it I did though I would love to share all of them with you!

One thing that ties all these great recipes (and many, many more) together is Coke! I was a lucky girl and my grandma lived with us. Evey night at dinner time she would make the meal since my mom worked evenings. She always let me have a Coke with dinner. I always thought I was getting away with something by drinking a Coke with dinner, and grandma would just laugh at me! I remember telling her that it made my ears tingle and I liked it. It seems silly to say that Coke made our dinner time complete, but in all honesty - it did!

Now today I let my kids have a Coke with their dinner. My daughter makes it obvious that she feels the same way I did - like she's getting away with something! They don't normally get soda, so when they do with dinner, it's something special to them. My family's favorite meal is Goulash, and Coke makes pasta taste even better than it normally does. I hope to perfect my own recipes so that my daughter can make them for her family when she's older and the tradition of having a Coke with dinner and sharing the days events!

I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Coca-Cola® blogging program. If I am one of the first 100 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 gift card. For more information on the program, click here.

No comments: