Friday, February 25, 2011

Grocery Store Money Saving Tips!

If there is one thing that I'm known for it's being frugal. Other may say cheap, but I like to save all the money I can without giving up quality. The number one thing we spend the most money on (besides rent) is food. My two kiddos could literally eat us out of house and home! I've developed a few secrets to help curb the cost of food in our house, and I'd like to share them with you!


The first thing I do is clip coupons. I'm not anything like the people on that new Extreme Couponing show but I do alright. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but my stockpile is looking pretty good! There are some really good coupons in the Sunday paper and there are a ton of great couponing blogs too. All you have to do is search for coupons and there are a ton of options right at your fingertips. Start combining those coupons with great sales, and you can save a ton of money. 

 I also make sure I never go to the store while I'm hungry! That may not sound like a big thing but if I go to the store on an empty stomach, I can easily walk out of there with an extra $15-25 worth of stuff that I don't need. It looks good while I'm hungry, but later on after I've eaten, I realize a bunch of the stuff I bought will be wasted. 


I also go around the outside of the store first. I only go into the aisles to get a the few things that I need. If I go wondering up and down the aisles I (again) end up with stuff I don't need, simply because it looks good. When I make my list I do it according to the aisles in the grocery store. It makes life easier too, I can get in and out quicker that way.


Another thing I do is take advantage of promotions that certain stores run. I make sure to shop great sales like the one Kroger is running right now.  Kroger is running their CartBuster savings event right now, and you can save a ton of money on things that you use everyday! They have some amazing things on sale right now, from P&G stuff to General Mills and more. You can find out more about that on their facebook page


Another thing I try to do is shop while the kids are at school or already in bed. That don't happen a lot though! When I take the kids with me to the store I end up spending a lot more than normal. I don't get lucky often!


Well, those are my money saving tips! I'd love to hear yours. I'm always switching things up and would love to learn even more great tips to save a buck! Thanks for reading!


I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms Kroger CartBuster blogging program, for a gift card worth $50. For more information on how you can participate, click here

No comments: